Thursday, September 15, 2005

A Sick Child/A Parent's Love

Right now I'm listening to my youngest child cough, sneeze and sniffle and I know there's not a whole lot I can do to make him feel better. I can give him medicine that should make him feel better, which I've done already and can't give him anymore until much later, and leave the rest in God's hands.

I would give anything to be the one sick instead of my little one and as I think those words to myself, I wonder how many parents say the very same thing. The only difference is I know my child only has a cold and will get better. There are some parents out there that don't have that assurance. They sit there and watch their child get sicker and sicker. I can only imagine what that parent is going through. How much worse is it for them? My children are usually very healthy, and before you say anything, no, I'm not bragging. I'm trying to put myself in someone else's shoes and find I don't like the fit. This has got to be the worst situation a parent can face. There is no one to fight to save their child, no monster to slay to make them get better. All they can do is wait and pray. Not a very pretty picture, is it? I want to always keep my children safe, but I realize that there are some battles that no matter what I do, I can't change the situation and this scares me. My children are a blessing. What would I do if anything happened to them? What would you do if it were your child? Have you ever thought about it?

I do, more often than I want to. This program brings a lot of hard to face facts out into the open for me. It makes me take a hard look at myself. Sometimes what I find isn't very nice. I have to be truthfull here. Sometimes those very same facts make me want to sit here and cry for every parent that is in this position.

As you go to sleep tonight, remember these parents. Keep them in your prayers. They are going through a situation that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. Ask for God to be there with them and to let them know that they are not going through this alone. They need comforting as much as the children do, maybe even more so.

God's blessings to you always.

No comments: